HISTORY

Alpha Kappa Kappa in Iowa City was part of a national fraternity organization. Our chapter dates back to the 1920s when the new hospital complex on the west side of the river was being constructed. Prior to 1925, AKK occupied other rented houses before purchasing this lot on Teeters Court. Two additional lots were later purchased to provide the house with a yard and parking lot. The national AKK fraternity became defunct in the 1960s and AKK at the University of Iowa has been an independent fraternity since.

In the 1990s the house welcomed their first female residents. Today, there is a good mix of both male and female residents, medical and other health students, both traditional and non-traditional. We are now considered an inactive fraternity, in that we do not carry out classic fraternity traditions, but we still maintain the values of professionalism and community.